The journalist Anas al-Sharif was killed together with four colleagues in a “presumably targeted Israeli attack”, the Qatarian broadcaster reported, citing the head of the Al-Shifa Hospital in the city of Gaza. The Israeli army (IDF) confirmed an attack and described Al-Sharif as “terrorists”.
“Recently, the IDF met the terrorist Anas al-Sharif in the city of Gaza, who was a journalist for the Al-Jazeera broadcaster,” said the Israeli army late Sunday in the online service Telegram. Al-Sharif was “a leader of a terrorist cell of the terrorist organization Hamas and was responsible for rocket attacks on Israeli civilians and IDF troops”.
- Read also: Netanyahu sticks to the plan to take the city of Gaza
Al-Jazeera: No evidence of Israeli claims
The Arab broadcaster said that the Israeli military had not submitted any documents verified by independent international bodies that would prove this claim. The UN special rapporteur Irene Khan had already stated last month that the Israeli claims were unfounded. Israel’s army, on the other hand, referred to information and documents found in the Gaza Strip, which would prove the military belonging from Anas al-Sharif to Hamas.
Al-Jazeera described the 28-year-old Al-Sharif as a “well-known Arabic correspondent”, who reported in detail from the north of the Gaza Strip for the station. The attack hit a tent for journalists in front of the main gate of the Al-Shifa Hospital. In addition to al-Sharif, the Al-Jazera-based ponder Mohammed Qriqea and the cameramen Ebrahim Zaher, Moamen Aliwa and their assistant Muhammed Nofal were also killed.
“}”>
Image: – (APA/AFP/AFPTV/ -)
Source: Nachrichten