He was arrested, wrote the AAP news agency. According to the police, the man acted alone. The shots he fired in the departure hall were therefore not aimed at people. The motive of the man is still unclear, it said. Nothing was initially known about the alleged perpetrator either.
The incident reportedly happened around 1:30 p.m. on Sunday afternoon (local time). The man initially sat near the window in the check-in hall, TV station ABC quoted an investigator as saying. After five minutes, he drew his gun and fired about five shots. Bullet holes in the window panes of the departure lounge could be seen in photos published by ABC on its website.
The airport had to be evacuated for several hours because of the incident, and air traffic was stopped. A number of passengers were initially stuck in planes on the tarmac. ABC reported some also had to wait outside in the cold. It is currently winter in Australia. The police later gave the all-clear, as AAP wrote. Shortly before 5 p.m. (local time), passengers were able to re-enter the building, but aircraft take-offs and landings remained suspended.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese also tweeted that he had been informed of the incident and that there was no longer any danger. The man did not go through any security check, it said.