An Irish judicial inquiry this Wednesday found that the death of Portuguese José Vareiro in 2016 was the result of an accident at work while working on a fishing boat, said Maria Manuela Silva, president of the Portuguese Association of Ireland.
José Alberto Novo Vareiro, born in Caxinas, Vila do Conde, was 53 years old when he drowned after falling overboard while working on board the Cu Na Mara. [cão de caça dos mares, em irlandês] July 1, 2016.
An inquest in the Tralee Court of Southwest Kerry County, conducted by Justice of the Peace Helen Lucey and delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, sought to determine the circumstances of the death because it was not of natural cause.
The president of the Portuguese Association in Ireland, Maria Manuela Silva, who is assisting the fisherman’s family in the case, said Wednesday’s decision could help in the civil case, which is due to start in January. so that the family receives compensation, which has not happened so far.
“The shipowner is recognized today [quarta-feira] For the first time, the boat had problems because a major overhaul was carried out a few months after the accident to make it safer,” Silva told the Lusa news agency.
Previously, a criminal case had been initiated, and the check conducted this Wednesday did not aim to establish responsibility or guilt.
However, a lawyer assisting the family collected evidence showing that Vareiro did not have a life jacket or hard hat as required by safety regulations and that the fishermen on board, including the victim’s brother, were persuaded by the shipowner to say otherwise. to facilitate an insurance claim that did not materialize.
Vareiro left his wife, now 56, and had two daughters, aged 31 and 36, and two 10-year-old granddaughters, but he never met the third granddaughter, now three.
Author: Lusa
Source: CM Jornal