The “oligarchy” that Zelenski wants to confront has a first and last name: Rinat Akhmetov is 65 years old, is the richest man in the country and is known as “King of Donbas”.
In addition, the renowned businessman owns the football club Shakhtar Donetsk FCone of the most watched channels in the country and owns large sectors of the steel and coal industry in the east.
The political power of millionaires in Ukraine
Zelenski intends to diminish the power of businessmen because, beyond their wealth, the richest men in the country are characterized for influencing the country’s politics.
The Ukrainian president defined them as “a group of people who think they are more important than legislators, government officials, or judges”.
Some believe that Akhmetov could have done more to combat Russian-led separatism in the Donbas.
The list of the richest men in Ukraine is made up of 5 men:
- Rinat Akhmetov: businessman from Donbas, has a net worth of US$4.3 billion.
- Victor Pinchuk: kyiv millionaire has an income of approximately $2 billion.
- Vadim Novinsky: he is a millionaire of Russian origin and a net worth of US$1.3 billion.
- Ihor Kolomoiski: President of FC Dnipro and founder of PrivatBank.
- Petro Poroshenko: the Bolgrad-born man has an income of $700 million.
David William is a talented author who has made a name for himself in the world of writing. He is a professional author who writes on a wide range of topics, from general interest to opinion news. David is currently working as a writer at 24 hours worlds where he brings his unique perspective and in-depth research to his articles, making them both informative and engaging.