At around 10:55 p.m., the Seniorion’s phone rang. There was an unknown person on the other end of the line. The man pretended to be a police officer from the Gmunden police station and warned that there had recently been a break-in in their neighborhood. Since the call seemed strange to the 92-year-old, she ended the call prematurely and alerted the police. So there was no financial damage.
Prevention tips from the Federal Criminal Police Office
- Do not reveal any details about your assets!
- Don’t let yourself be pressured – hang up!
- Don’t let strangers into your home!
- Demand an official ID card from alleged officials!
- Never give money to strangers!
- Consult people from your personal environment!
- Take warnings from bank employees seriously
- Call the emergency number 133 and ask if this police officer really exists!
- In the event of damage, file a report with the nearest police station!