24hoursworld

Erfurt: Halle attacker refuses medical treatment in clinic

Erfurt: Halle attacker refuses medical treatment in clinic

In 2019, Stephan Balliet wanted to kill numerous people in a synagogue in Halle. He is currently in an Erfurt clinic and refuses treatment.

The Halle attacker is in a hospital in Erfurt due to health problems. In response to a request from the German Press Agency, a spokesman for the Thuringian Ministry of Justice said that an inmate was admitted to the clinic in Erfurt on Friday. The “Mitteldeutsche Zeitung” and the “Bild” newspaper had previously reported unanimously that it was the Halle attacker. Police forces could be seen in front of the hospital on Saturday.

According to information from the German Press Agency, the attacker is refusing medical treatment – as of Saturday afternoon – but his life is not in danger. He is actually currently serving his sentence in the Tonna correctional facility near Bad Langensalza in Thuringia.

The Gotha State Police Inspectorate had stated that “a prisoner in custody was escorted from a correctional facility to a hospital in Erfurt and given medical care.” The prisoner was cared for “under a heavy police presence”. The officials did not provide any further information – “for police tactical reasons.”

Because of the racist and anti-Semitic attack near the synagogue in Halle in Saxony-Anhalt, Stephan Balliet, who became known as the Halle attacker, was sentenced to life imprisonment followed by preventive detention in 2020. On October 9, 2019, the highest Jewish holiday, Yom Kippur, he tried to storm the synagogue in Halle and cause a massacre. When he didn’t succeed, he murdered two people near the synagogue.

In February of this year, Balliet was also sentenced to seven years in prison for taking hostages in Burg Prison. He said he wanted to break out of prison.

Source: Stern

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Posts