24hoursworld

Ceasefire in Gaza: USA requests vote in UN Security Council

Ceasefire in Gaza: USA requests vote in UN Security Council

As early as Monday, the UN Security Council is expected to vote on the US plan for a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip between Israel and the Islamist Hamas. In the past, the US had blocked other resolutions with its veto.

The USA has requested a vote in the UN Security Council on the plan for a ceasefire between Israel and the Islamist Hamas and the release of Hamas hostages in the Gaza Strip. The Security Council should support the “proposal that is on the table,” said the spokesman for the US mission to the United Nations, Nate Evans, on Sunday (local time). According to diplomats, the vote is to take place as early as Monday.

At the end of May, US President Joe Biden presented a three-stage plan that would lead from a temporary ceasefire to an end to the fighting in the Gaza Strip. It includes an “immediate and complete” ceasefire, the release of hostages kidnapped by the radical Islamist Hamas in exchange for Palestinian prisoners, a withdrawal of the Israeli army from populated areas of the Gaza Strip and the delivery of humanitarian aid.

USA blocked other resolutions

The Security Council should not “let the opportunity pass” and should “unanimously support” the agreement, said US delegation leader Evans. In the past, the US had blocked numerous resolutions calling for a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip with its veto.

According to the US draft resolution now available, Israel has already agreed to the plan. Hamas is called upon to agree as well. Both sides are to implement the steps laid out in it “unconditionally and immediately.”

Gaza Strip: 116 hostages are said to still be in Hamas’s power

The Gaza war was triggered by the major attack by Hamas on Israel on October 7, in which Islamist fighters killed 1,194 people and took 251 hostages to the Gaza Strip, according to Israeli sources. According to the Israeli army, 116 hostages are still being held by Hamas, and 41 of them are said to already be dead.

In response to the major Hamas attack, Israel has since launched a massive military operation in the Gaza Strip. According to figures from the Hamas-controlled Ministry of Health, which cannot be independently verified, more than 37,000 people have been killed so far.

Source: Stern

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Posts