Juventus is said to have whitewashed their finances for years. That’s why the association deducts ten points from the club in the championship – for the second time. The Champions League is in danger for Turin.
Shortly before the end of the season, Juventus Turin was punished with a heavy point deduction for financial offenses. The Italian soccer record champions are deducted ten points in Serie A, which jeopardizes Juve’s participation in the Champions League in autumn.
The supreme court of the football association FIGC passed the verdict on Monday, falling just short of the eleven points deduction demanded by chief prosecutor Giuseppe Chinè.
The case concerns the allegation that Juventus has falsified the market values of its players for years and is said to have booked excessive sums in transfers or barter transactions with other clubs. The association court had therefore sentenced the Turiners to a 15-point penalty at the beginning of the year. The club took action before the highest Italian sports court and was initially successful – the judges of the National Olympic Committee (Coni) overturned the sentence, but returned the case to the FIGC chamber for a new verdict.
Champions League at risk
Seven former Juve managers who were also accused, such as ex-professional Pavel Nedved, who were banned in the first trial, were acquitted this time. The former club bosses around President Andrea Agnelli had already been suspended at the beginning of the year – the highest Coni sports court had not revised their sentence either.
Due to the ten points deduction, Juventus slipped from second place behind the already established champions SSC Napoli out of the top four and thus out of the Champions League ranks. Turin also lost the catch-up game of the third to last matchday at FC Empoli 1:4.
Juventus not only has to answer to a sports court because of this cause. In the previous week, prosecutor Chinè had reported the association because it is said to have illegally booked and concealed salary payments in the millions. The first hearing in this process is scheduled for June 15th.
I am Pierce Boyd, a driven and ambitious professional working in the news industry. I have been writing for 24 Hours Worlds for over five years, specializing in sports section coverage. During my tenure at the publication, I have built an impressive portfolio of articles that has earned me a reputation as an experienced journalist and content creator.