Golf: Before the final of the PGA Championship: Scheffler falls behind

Golf: Before the final of the PGA Championship: Scheffler falls behind

World number one Scottie Scheffler has sporting problems on the third day of the PGA Championship in Louisville. There is still a record round at the Valhalla Golf Club.

Golf star Scottie Scheffler lost touch with the top a day after his brief arrest by police at the PGA Championship in Louisville. The world number one from the USA only played a round of 73 at the Valhalla Golf Club and fell from fourth to tied for 24th place with a total of 206 strokes. Before the final round, US professionals Xander Schauffele and Collin Morikawa share the lead in the second major tournament of the year with 198 strokes each.

Irishman Shane Lowry provided the sporting highlight of the day on the par-71 course in the US state of Kentucky. The 2019 British Open winner equaled Olympic champion Schauffele’s record round from two days ago with 62 strokes. Both now share the record for the lowest round in PGA Championship history.

German golfer Martin Kaymer, who otherwise plays on the competitive LIV tour financed by Saudi Arabia, ended the third day with a round of 68 and is tied for 38th with a total of 208 strokes. Munich native Stephan Jäger is in 60th position with 211 strokes before the final day. Superstar Tiger Woods was eliminated early on Friday. The 15-time major champion from California clearly failed to make the cut in Louisville.

“I definitely didn’t feel like myself today,” Scheffler said after the third round. The 27-year-old from Texas was temporarily taken into custody early Friday morning before the start of the second round of the tournament. The two-time Masters winner is said to have failed to follow the instructions of police who were investigating a fatal traffic accident involving a pedestrian outside Valhalla Golf Club. Scheffler had tried to avoid a traffic jam with his car. He is said to have slightly injured a police officer’s wrist. The world number one was then taken to a police station in handcuffs and processed for identification. A few hours later he was back at Valhalla Golf Club and started the second round.

Source: Stern

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Posts