24hoursworld

Alexander Nübel removed from European Championship squad by Nagelsmann

Alexander Nübel removed from European Championship squad by Nagelsmann

DFB coach Julian Nagelsmann actually wanted to start the European Championship with four goalkeepers. Now he has surprisingly changed his mind.

Goalkeeper Alexander Nübel will not be part of the German national football team’s squad for the European Championship at home. The 27-year-old VfB Stuttgart goalkeeper was dropped from the final 26-man squad on Friday.

“First of all, it has nothing to do with Alex’s performance, he has integrated very well and has also done well in training,” said national coach Julian Nagelsmann on RTL shortly before kick-off of the last European Championship friendly against Greece in Mönchengladbach. He justified this with “uncertainties” with Leroy Sané. The winger is “almost at 100 percent, but he was also partially at Bayern, and then suddenly things changed a bit.” That is why the decision was made in favor of one more outfield player and against a fourth goalkeeper in the squad.

“Alex’s time in the national team will come”

Nübel’s exclusion comes as a surprise. When announcing his provisional squad of 27 players on May 16, Nagelsmann explained that he wanted to go to the European Championships with four goalkeepers for reasons of training management. This was also why Nübel was nominated without having played an international match so far after his good performances this season for the Bundesliga runner-up. The goalkeeper himself was surprised by the provisional appointment and said that he had to cancel a safari vacation.

As in previous tournaments, the squad now includes 23 field players and three goalkeepers. Deputies to Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer as number one are Marc-André ter Stegen (FC Barcelona) and Oliver Baumann (TSG Hoffenheim).

“Alex and we do not see this as a decision against his quality,” said Stuttgart’s sporting director Fabian Wohlgemuth. “Alex’s time in the national team will come, I am absolutely convinced of that.”

Beier and Koch take part in the European Championship

Offensive player Maximilian Beier from Hoffenheim and defender Robin Koch from Eintracht Frankfurt were previously considered candidates for elimination. Nagelsmann had repeatedly stressed that, based on the impressions he had gained so far in the training camp, no player deserved to be dropped from the squad.

On Thursday evening, the national coach said that his decision had been made. Originally, however, he wanted to inform the affected player after the Greece match and then announce the final squad. The 26 players must be reported to UEFA by midnight. Changes to injured players are only possible before the opening match on June 14 against Scotland, and goalkeepers can also be replaced during the tournament if a UEFA doctor confirms an injury.

Note: This post has been updated.

Source: Stern

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Posts