Harry accuses the former managers of several tabloids of having known about illegal wiretapping methods. It’s not the only lawsuit Harry is bringing against the Tabloid Press.
In the case of a lawsuit for damages by Prince Harry and other British celebrities because of wiretapped phones and other spying, a trial at the London High Court began on Wednesday.
The 38-year-old royal and other celebrities accuse those responsible at the time of the tabloids “The Mirror”, “The Sunday Mirror” and “Sunday People” of having known about illegal methods such as intercepting cell phone voice messages and fraudulently obtaining medical data .
Private detectives for spying
The defendant is the publisher of the three newspapers, Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN). The publisher had already partially admitted that the celebrities were being spied on by journalists and private detectives. Individual journalists were prosecuted. Now the question is whether and how the management level was involved in the illegal activities.
Plaintiff attorney David Sherborne began reading the complaint on Wednesday. From 1995 onwards, Prince Harry became the target of the “most abusive methods of obtaining private information”, said Sherborne, who spoke of “appalling” practices. The process is to be conducted on the basis of several individual cases as examples for a class action lawsuit by many other plaintiffs.
In addition to celebrities, victims of sensational crimes and their relatives have also become the target of illegal research methods. The Duke of Sussex’s case highlights what has happened to many other lesser-known individuals, Sherborne said, adding, “That’s why he decided to bring the lawsuit.”
The spying “had taken place on an industrial scale in all three newspapers,” continued the star lawyer, who had already represented Prince Harry in other proceedings. Invoices proved that private detectives were commissioned and paid for by various departments within the editorial offices. The legal department and the board of directors were also aware of the events. He spoke of a “flood of breaches of the law” authorized by senior editors.
The publisher’s lawyers had rejected the allegations and argued, among other things, that the lawsuit came too late. They want to set out their arguments on Friday, before witness questioning begins next week.
Harry could take the stand himself
The trial is scheduled to last seven weeks. It is expected that the younger son of King Charles III. (74) will take the witness stand himself in June. The focus of the proceedings is likely to be the former editor-in-chief of “Mirror”, Piers Morgan, who ran the paper from 1995 to 2004. Morgan had distinguished himself in recent years as a sharp critic of Harry’s wife Meghan (41). He rejects the allegations in the current proceedings.
The trial is just one of several that Prince Harry is conducting in the UK against the tabloid media known as the “Tabloid Press”. In March, he surprisingly appeared as a witness himself in proceedings against the publisher of the newspapers “Daily Mail” and “Mail on Sunday”, Associated Newspapers Limited. Harry has also initiated proceedings against the publishers of the newspapers “Sun” and the now discontinued “News Group Newspapers” because of similar allegations.
I am an author and journalist who has worked in the entertainment industry for over a decade. I currently work as a news editor at a major news website, and my focus is on covering the latest trends in entertainment. I also write occasional pieces for other outlets, and have authored two books about the entertainment industry.