The duo had been interrogated by the State Office for the Protection of the Constitution and Counter-Terrorism (LVT) in Lower Austria, said Johann Baumschlager from the State Police Directorate in St. Pölten on Wednesday. It is about an adult and a teenager, both from Vienna.
Display under the Prohibition Act
The Austrian citizens are reported to the public prosecutor’s office in Vienna under the Prohibition Act. No information was given about her motive. Baumschlager emphasized the rapid investigation of the suspects and the good cooperation with the ÖBB in this context.
As reported, the disturbing announcements were played on Sunday in an ÖBB rail jet that was traveling from Bregenz to Vienna. Instead of the usual announcements, a Hitler speech with “Heil Hitler” and several “Sieg Heil” calls echoed through the train. In addition, there were incorrect and meaningless information for minutes.
After the incident on the St. Pölten – Vienna section, ÖBB investigated the suspects using video analysis and filed a complaint. The LVT Lower Austria then took up investigations under the Prohibition Act.
A total of three cases
There are said to be three cases in which the loudspeakers on trains were “hijacked”. Sunday’s incident was the first under the Prohibition Act to be brought to the attention of LVT Lower Austria.
ÖBB CEO Andreas Matthä sent a letter to the President of the Jewish Community in Vienna (IKG), Oskar Deutsch, on Tuesday. “I am personally deeply shocked by this incident and immediately initiated an internal investigation,” wrote the Bahn manager.
“Anti-Semitism and hatred have no place at ÖBB – neither on the train nor anywhere else,” he assured. The two suspects had already been noticed because of unauthorized entry into railway facilities or trains or the wearing of ÖBB uniform parts.