The European division of the American Google campaign reported the removal of hundreds of YouTube channels and thousands of videos in a few days due to events in Ukraine, which became known on Friday, February 25th.
“On YouTube, we show videos from trusted news sources and work hard to remove content that violates our policies. Over the past few days, we have removed hundreds of channels and thousands of videos and remain vigilant against inaccurate information, ”the company’s Ukrainian segment blog says.
Google added a blocking of unfair advertising related to the crisis in Ukraine, the creators of which are trying to “take advantage of the situation.”
Roskomnadzor on the same day began to slow down the traffic of the social network Facebook in Russia due to censorship of Russian media on the platform. The administration of the social network marked the materials as unreliable and imposed technical restrictions on the search results of their publications. On February 24, the department announced a wave of fake publications on the Internet about a special operation carried out by Russia to protect Donbass.
From the beginning of the special operation to protect the population of Donbass from shelling by Ukrainian security forces, the Internet was filled with numerous fakes, which were subsequently exposed. This was the case with the video about the attack on Ukraine by Russian Grad systems. Users have found that the video, which is issued as evidence of “Russian aggression”, was made last year during the Russian military exercises. The video was published on April 27, 2021. Fake was a video about the “massive shelling” of Mariupol.
On February 24, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced a special operation to protect the civilian population of Donbass. After that, the Ukrainian leader Volodymyr Zelensky accused Russia of hitting the country’s military infrastructure and introduced martial law throughout Ukraine. He also said that Kyiv is breaking off diplomatic relations with Moscow and withdrawing its diplomats from the embassy.
The Russian Defense Ministry stressed that the army did not carry out air missile or artillery strikes on the cities of Ukraine. The civilian population of the country is not in danger. High-precision weapons destroy military infrastructure. As of February 25, 211 Ukrainian military installations, including American Javelin anti-tank missile systems and British NLAW, were disabled by high-precision weapons.
On February 21, the heads of the DPR and LPR Denis Pushilin and Leonid Pasechnik appealed to Vladimir Putin with a request to recognize the independence of the republics. The corresponding decrees were signed in the evening of the same day. In the presence of the leaders of the republics, the President of the Russian Federation also signed treaties of friendship, cooperation and assistance. The documents were ratified the next day by both the republics themselves and the Russian State Duma.
The situation in Donbass escalated on February 17, 2022. In the Donetsk and Lugansk People’s Republics, heavy shelling by Ukrainian security forces was reported, including from heavy weapons. The republics announced a general mobilization and evacuation of civilians to the territory of Russia.
Since 2014, the Ukrainian authorities have been conducting a military operation against the inhabitants of Donbass, who refused to recognize the results of the coup d’état and the new government in Ukraine. At the same time, Kyiv blames Moscow for the current situation. Russia has repeatedly stated that it is not a party to the conflict.
Jane Stock is a technology author, who has written for 24 Hours World. She writes about the latest in technology news and trends, and is always on the lookout for new and innovative ways to improve his audience’s experience.